Tuesday, March 21, 2006

South Park v. El Ron Hubbard

I laugh at South Park. I don't necessarily think that everyone should be watching it, since it does contain lots of backlash-ism and anyone who takes it seriously and is not smart enough to know better might internalize it. However, this furor over the Scientology episode is fantastic.

This episode is great. I just watched it, and I laughed my ass off. It takes aim not only at Scientology, a huge pyramid scheme in the form of a cult which sues people to defend itself instead of defending itself with good doctrine and practice, but at Tom Cruise's acting ("you're not as good at Leonardo DiCaprio" is genius) and rumored homosexuality, John Travolta's always articulate and well-thought out way of speaking, Nicole Kidman's chin, R. Kelly's spoken word/rock opera piece of shit sequence of "songs" known as "Trapped in the Closet", ideas of prophets coming back in young children's bodies (which could be construed as a veiled slap at Buddhism), new testaments (think Book of Mormon, a favorite target of TnM), the cult of celebrity in general, and, of course, Jews and Catholics.

The debate over Scientology has not exactly been at the forefront of the public mind, and I'm not suggesting it should be. However, it is always good when its brought up just enough for us to all remember what a fucking joke it is, just in case someday our defenses are down just enough that we might have gotten suckered into a "free personality test".

I can't fucking believe that Isaac Hayes is quitting over this. Dude, everyone knew you as that guy who sounds like Barry White who sung "Shaft" --until you became Chef. This is the dumbest move of your career.

Oh, and did I mention that I hate Scientology? I do. And I don't like Tom Cruise either. So sue me...

Hail Xenu!

watch the episode, or Xenu will freeze your soul and throw you in the volcanoes of Hawaii:
http://www.contemporaryinsanity.org/content/view/548/49/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home